Thursday, September 1, 2011

Rulebender

Sunday morning, a man comes to the store and rents a couple of kids' movies. Slip is filled out, he pays, all is well. Fernando still has some of his weekend popcorn in stock and he asks the gent if he would like a bag (or the receipt, but this man is aware of how language works).

Yeah, sure,” says the customer. After a pause, “Could I have two? My son is having a birthday party today and....” He trails off as if embarrassed to conclude his request.

Well, generally you only get the one bag....” begins Fernando, and his words make the man's expression one of disappointment.

...but since popcorn is 'Friday, Saturday, and Sunday long as it lasts,' and I have leftovers, I don't see why I can't get rid of two bags here and now.” And he hands over the two bags to the man whose face lights up like the dawn.

Oh wow, thanks!” says the customer as he goes on his way, visibly enheartened.

Happy birthday, random child I probably don't know!

No comments:

Post a Comment