Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Logic 102

It's a Friday afternoon and, as always, Fernando has the free popcorn ready and raring to go for those who would wish to enjoy it. A guy who'd been in the store a number of times in the past and who had, in fact, rented on Fridays previously picks up a couple of movies.

Receipt or popcorn?” asks Fernando after he hands the man his change.

Huh?” is the response.

I've got free popcorn on weekends, if you'd like a bag, and you're always welcome to the receipt of course,” explains Fernando, tugging at the yellow carbon copy receipt attached to the rental slip proper.

Do I have to take both?”

Tezcatlipoca help me. “Er. No. That's why I used the word 'or' instead of 'and.' You can take both if you want but you're not forced to. In fact, you're not forced to take either, if you don't want either.”

You should have just said that I don't have to take it.” Then, after a brief pause: “But I'll take popcorn.”

Aghflabl.

No comments:

Post a Comment