Thursday, August 4, 2011

Burden of Responsibility

A semiregular customer of Fernando's rents one day in mid-March. As Fernando digs through his stamp card box in search of her card, she says, “I have one of those in there?”

Well, yeah. I started one a while ago. There we go!” Fernando retrieves the card and places a stamp on it.

Can I hold onto it?” she asks.

Okay, if you insist. Most people leave them here to save on the hassle of remembering they're there.” And he turns over the card.

The customer returns sometime in May or June or something. She rents a couple of movies or something, pays, leaves. She doesn't produce her card to be stamped, which...okay. Fernando tried to warn her of this back in March.

Now it's July. She returns, rents again, and this time pulls out her card. Fernando stamps it for her.

Can I get stamps for the ones I rented a while back?” she asks.

Fernando at this point in the conversation has no idea what she's talking about. “Er...what now?”

The last time I was in I didn't get my card stamped. I wanted to get that done now.”

Um...you haven't been in for two or three months, far as I can recall. And the time before that you asked that you be given ownership of your card. So you kind of took on the responsibility for remembering to have the card stamped yourself.”

I forgot. So can I get it stamped now?”

Fernando shrugs. “Fine.” And he stamps her card a single extra time. But that's not good enough, says her glower.

I rented three movies that time.”

Listen, you waited a quarter-year to come back and remedy your oversight. I'm far too lazy to dig through the old rental slips to find out the actual number of movies you rented. Be glad I gave you the one.”

No comments:

Post a Comment