Thursday, September 15, 2011

Price Wars

Some older guy Fernando has never seen before pulls up in a beat-up old white sedan. “Hey, guy, you got movies for sale?” he asks.

Yessir I do, on the rack right behind you. Feel free to help yourself,” Fernando answers.

How much are they?”

Eight bucks apiece, or three for twenty.”

Eight bucks? That's too much, guy.”

Well, I do also have a box of movies here for four apiece, but they're all older titles.”

The old guy stumps over to Fernando's Adopt-A-Movie box and paws through it, frowning and muttering to himself. “Eight bucks. Way to high. Ain't paying eight bucks.” The guy looks up and fixes a death glare on Fernando. “Guy, you ain't getting me to buy nothing with those prices.”

I'm sorry to hear that.,” says Fernando. “But I tend not to put effort into changing peoples' minds when they've already made them up. You seem to think my prices are too high and nothing I say or do will change that.”

Sell this to me for four bucks,” says the man, picking up a copy of Battle: Los Angeles.

Fernando raises his eyebrows. “I'm not seeing the potential upside to that.”

I don't want to buy it for eight. I want to buy it for four, like those other ones.”

Those other ones didn't come out less than two months ago. Therein lies difference in pricing.”

Then I ain't buying it!” the man shouts, throwing the case back on the sales rack.

Fernando shrugs. “Alright, then. Have a good day.” He returns to his seat.

The old guy mumbles unflattering things about Fernando for a short while longer before storming out.

No comments:

Post a Comment