Thursday, September 29, 2011

Antipossession

A regular customer pulls into the parking lot Monday evening. He enters the store, leans on top of the counter, and asks, “What movies're set to come out this week?”

Two no-names and Transformers. The big one is set to come out on Friday,” Fernando responds.

You got any of them in right now?”

Er...no.”

Fernando's answer does not dissuade the man. “You sure?”

Yeah, positive.”

The man pays Fernando's restatement of his earlier comment no heed. “I think you've got them back there and you're just not letting me rent them.”

I mean, if that were the case, I couldn't rent them to you anyway. But I actually do not have the movies in my possession. That would require the distributor to get my movies to me in a comparatively timely manner, and you've been around enough to know that doesn't happen.”

The good news is this argument seems cogent to the man, who ceases his queries. The bad news is he leaves without renting anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment