Sunday, September 4, 2011

Language Games

A guy who rented Source Code the previous day returns the film. “I don't know why I rented this thing,” he gripes at Fernando, “I couldn't understand a damn thing and had no idea what's going on. You shouldn't need to know fucking physics to watch a movie.”

Er. Not really sure how this one has much to do with physics, per se. It's more an exploration of the philosophy of mind and philosophy of time, specifically with regards to parallel universes and the ability to influence events in them. Really, though, I don't think one could call a universe 'parallel' to another if it's capable of being influenced, or even really detected. Parallel lines never cross, so neither, strictly speaking, should parallel universes. 'Tangential universes' might be a better term to use in this case.”

This random train of thought Fernando has embarked upon seems to have confused the man. “I don't know why you gotta use those big words! They don't tell me anything! I don't know what you're talking about!”

I don't think the words are that complicated. The concepts underlying them in the particular ways I used them, maybe, but the words themselves are pretty...um...self-explanatory. 'Parallel' means what it almost always does. 'Tangential' might be a bit more tricksy because it's not something you run across every day, but even then I think context should make it clear that the word is being used in contrast to 'parallel' and so means something else.”

You could use smaller ones!”

Yeah, I probably could. But that would obfuscate some of the clarity of meaning I strive to get across. You don't use the words 'ran fast' when the word 'sprinted' gets the idea across better and create a more accurate mental picture.”

Whatever, man. Shit's not for me.” And he leaves.

Fernando was just attempting to enlighten the gent on precision in language. It is unfortunate that one might possess the ability to encourage an equine in the direction of an aqueous solution but find oneself bereft of the means to coerce it to partake.

No comments:

Post a Comment