Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cassettes and Discs

A man Fernando has never seen before enters the Dominion one incredibly hot afternoon. “Hey, do you know anything about transferring stuff from a cassette to a disc?” he asks without preamble.

Oh, like VHS-to-DVD recording? I don't do it here, myself, but it's relatively straightforward if you have a specific model of VHS/DVD combo player with a DVD-R drive. You can set it up to play and record on the same machine. Else you'd have to set it up so that the VHS is playing through your VHS player while your DVD player burns and records things.”

Oh, I didn't mean that. I was talking about music cassettes and CDs.”

Fernando regards the man for a moment. “Ah. That changes things a little. Makes it a bit more complicated.”

Do you have anything that will do that for me? I talked with somebody who said you do that kind of thing.”

Well, I mean, this is a video store, and I don't even do VHS-to-DVD transfers. Tape-to-CD is kind of out of my forte.”

Well, can you tell me how you'd do it?”

Probably set up the cassette to play while you have a mic picking up the music or whatever and recording the data into an audio program of some sort on your computer. Then you can just burn that data to a disc like you would any other. It's convoluted but the best option I can think of offhand.”

Oh. Okay. Thanks.”

And he leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment