Thursday, June 16, 2011

Gaming the System

A high school girl enters the store one day. “Hey, if I rent one now can I get the other free later if I come back later today?”

Fernando sees no harm in acquiescing to this request. “Sure. No problem.”

So the girl selects the 2003 movie Thirteen, pays, and leaves. About three hours later she returns. Fernando is helping another customer as she enters and brings back the movie from before, but he hears her rip a tag off a case somewhere. Soon she arrives at the counter.

True Grit. That movie came out this week. Hmmm.

I'm going to need an extra buck-fifty from you,” says Fernando.

Well, you said this one would be free.”

So I did. The problem is that you gamed the system by renting a less expensive movie and then tried to claim one of greater value for your free one. Had you rented them at the same time that never would have flown. Hence, you owe me an extra one-fifty to make up for the difference in value between the two.”

Well, I didn't bring any money with me.”

No problem. You can just leave the money in the case when you drop it off tomorrow, or come in to pay it then.”

Oh, okay. I will,” she promises. Then she takes her movie and leaves.

The next day True Grit is returned in the drop box upon opening, but the money is nowhere to be found. The next time she comes in and is informed she still owes Fernando a dollar and a half will surely lead to a follow-up chronicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment