Sunday, May 8, 2011

Mistaken

It's a Saturday afternoon and a self-righteous semiregular lady enters. She browses for a bit but soon approaches the counter with her tags in hand. Fernando does what he does best and retrieves the movies she's requisitioned: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Dawn Trader, The Hangover, and The King's Speech.
While this is happening she's pawing through Fernando's stamp card box in search of her card, claiming that she has a free rental coming.
You don't, actually, so it comes to nine dollars,” says Fernando.
I just want to make sure.”
I mean, I'm sure. If you had a full card, it would be on my list of full cards. Your name is not on the list.”
You could have forgotten or made a mistake.”
But, no, Fernando did not make a mistake, and as he is sifting through his card box for her unfilled card, she scowls at the movies before her.
I didn't want The King's Speech. I wanted Harry Potter.”
Er...I got the tag for The King's Speech.”
Well, I didn't want that. You must have mixed up the tags.”
Actually,” says Fernando without too much of his usual snark, “yesterday was a really slow day for The King's Speech. None of them were rented. I did, however, rent out most of my copies of Harry Potter. I sorted through those returns earlier today. There is no way or reason I would have moved one of the tags for The King's Speech onto Harry Potter arbitrarily.
He wanted so very badly to say, “You must have made a mistake,” but restrained himself. Fernando is all about self-control.

No comments:

Post a Comment