Sunday, December 16, 2012

Stamping Out Fairness


Semi-regular customer comes in on a Tuesday. Customer rents four movies. Customer provides Fernando with a card to stamp. Fernando stamps it two times.
Customer is disconcerted by this. “Hey, why did you only stamp it twice? I got four movies!”
That was unanticipated. “Stamps are not given for rentals which are free.”
That's dumb.”
Not really. It's always been done this way.”
It's not fair.”
If I gave stamps out for free rentals, I would find my income depressed in rather short order. People come in fairly often to take advantage of my various deals and customer incentives, and I do like being able to buy Munchkin sets and food, among other accouterments of lesser importance.” Customer can find no response to that, so he leaves.
Maybe he just had a bad day and thought arguing with Fernando would be a good way to relieve his frustration? Who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment