Sunday, August 26, 2012

Opaque Clarity

Hey, what's this movie like?” a man asks one afternoon. He waves the case for Breathless in Fernando's direction.
That is a very dark caper movie about a woman who offs her skeevy husband to abscond with a great deal of his money.”
The man squints down at the case. “What's a movie it's close to?”
Fernando ponders for a moment. “The Ice Harvest, maybe? I haven't seen this one seeing as it just came out today so I can't say for sure. It reads similarly in content to that one, though.”
What's that one?”
It's got John Cusack and Connie Nielsen. They steal a bunch of money from a mobster or something and they need to find a way to make a clean getaway. It's been a while since I've seen it.”
Oh.” The man looks around the store. “That didn't really answer my question.”
I'm sorry. I'm not sure what other answers I can give.”
What's a movie I've seen that's like those ones?”
Fernando doesn't know what the hell movies that guy has seen, so he pulls a good-sounding answer from his ass. “Um...maybe Safe House?
Oh, I liked that one.” With that, the man decides to rent Breathless.

1 comment: