Sunday, October 9, 2011

Monumental Confusion

A guy enters the store one day and immediately comes up to the counter. “Yeah, I'm looking for the movie, I think it's called Monument.”

Fernando swivels in his chair and regards the man. “As far as I'm aware, there's no movie by that name here. Could you tell me a little bit more about it?”

Yeah, it's the one where Abraham Lincoln is there and he comes to life and give a tour to the kids.”

That...sounds kind of like Night at the Museum 2. Do you know about when it came out?”

Oh, I don't know. But a person at work told me to watch it because it's a really good movie, you know?”

It sounds suspiciously like a scene in Night at the Museum 2,” Fernando reiterates. He rises from his throne and fetches the case from its rack-domicile, then hands it to the man.

Oh, no, no, it's definitely not this. The movie's called Monument.”

Just a sec.” Fernando hops onto the glory that is the internet and does a quick Google search for “Monument (film).” The Wikipedia page for Monument Valley is the first result. “There's no movie by that name out there. I'm almost positive that you guys are thinking of a scene in Night at the Museum 2.”

Well, it's not. The movie's called Monument. You just must not have looked hard enough online.”

There's...not much more looking I can do. If a movie doesn't pop on a Google search, then it doesn't exist.”

The man ignores this fact. “So you're saying you don't have it?”

It doesn't look like I have the title in question. Sorry.”

The man leaves.

Turns out, though, that there are movies whose titles are “Monument.” They're just Estonian, Norwegian, or Serbian in origin and have nothing at all to do with Abraham Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment