Thursday, September 5, 2013

Correct Address

A guy comes into the store with a girl one Monday evening. Fernando has seen the girl before, but not in the company of this man. Presumably they are swapping lovejuices on a routine basis.
The guy, you see, owes Fernando forty-eight dollars in late fees, dating to about three years prior. The Keeper suspects that maybe, just maybe, the young lady had been brought along to rent for him by proxy, so that the delinquent could avoid putting any amount of money onto his debt. It's not the first time people who owed Fernando money have tried to skirt the Keeper's wishes.
The two browse the store for around ten minutes, and the guy is the one to select all the movies for the evening, a sizable pile of four titles. This lends further credence to Fernando's hypothesis that she is here as his representative-minion. At last they approach the counter, and already Fernando stands at attention on his side of the barrier. After placing the tags upon the counter, the young man hands the lady a five dollar bill.
Did you want to throw something onto your late fees?” he asks the young man.
Uh, I'm not renting these. She is.”
Fernando's eyes flick to the girl, then back to the guy. “I had surmised as much. But I'm not asking her, I'm asking you.”
I, uh, I didn't bring any cash with me.”
Fernando presses his lips together and squints at the five. “Hrrm.”
That's, uh, that's hers.”
Oh, no, absolutely. My friends tell me to hold their money for them all the time, too.”
The two lovebirds exchange an awkward look. Finally the guy says, “Can I put a dollar on it?”
Miraculously, the movies are returned the following day. Perhaps this mini-saga will indeed prove itself to be a story of redemption and—pssshhhhahahahahaha I crack myself up.

No comments:

Post a Comment