Thursday, May 9, 2013

Invitation to Disaster


 “Hey, do you want to come to my graduation party?” a young lady asks of the Keeper one day as Fernando fills out a rental slip for her. She is one of Fernando's most regular of regular customers. “I would have sent you an invite but, um....” She looks down at the floor. “I actually don't know your name. You're just kind of the movie store guy to me.”
Fernando shrugs and laughs. “Happens a lot, actually. 'Movie Store Guy' is apt enough, considering names probably started as labels based on what people did way back in the olden days before electricity and indoor plumbing.” He scratches his cheek. “When it is? I can't guarantee I'll be able to go, I'm afraid. Work kind of gets in the way of most things.”
It'll be June 7th.”
Oh, I'm sorry, I definitely can't go then. I have a wedding to attend over that weekend.”
You're getting married?” she asks, studying Fernando with no small amount of surprise. “I didn't even know you were engaged.”
Well that would be one hell of a surprise if I were. No, I misspoke. Actually I'm standing in a wedding for my best bud. Thank you for the invitation, though.”
It's okay! You going to get somebody else to run the store then?”
Nah, I'll shut it down. It ain't gonna be no thing.”
Fernando's guest giggles, pays for her movies, and leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment