Thursday, March 28, 2013

I Don't Know


A young man enters the store and returns a movie he'd rented a few days prior.
Thank you much,” Fernando says as he rises from his throne and collects the film. “Did you want to kill off paying for the extra night now?”
Can I do it next time?”
It is a paltry dollar-fifty, and Fernando sees this gentleman often enough. “Sure thing, no problem.”
The young man turns to leave, but reconsiders and reorients himself to face Fernando again. “Hey, do you have Band of Brothers?”
Indeed I do. Did you want me to track it down for you?”
No, I wanted to know how much you'd sell it for.”
That I don't know off the top of my head. I hadn't planned on selling it anytime soon.”
Well, if you were gonna sell it, how much would it be?”
I don't know.”
Just give me a rough idea.”
I don't know.”
Well why not?”
I hadn't planned on selling it anytime soon, and haven't researched what a reasonable price for a used copy would be, so I don't know how much I would charge.”
It can't be that hard to figure it out.”
Sure it can. I don't want to undercharge, as that would be bad for me; and I don't want to egregiously overcharge, as that would be bad for you.”
You sell off other movies all the time.”
Yes, but I don't routinely sell off television miniseries boxed sets.”
The young man, having grown frustrated that Fernando cannot give him the answer he so desires, departs.

No comments:

Post a Comment