Sunday, September 30, 2012

Doth Protest Too Much

A quasi-regular customer browses the shelves and asks Fernando, “Hey, you got any Battleship back there?”
No, sorry,” Fernando answers. “But I've got one copy coming back yet tonight, if you wanted me to hold it for you, then give you a call.”
Yeah, do that.” The man leaves.
Turns out the one copy that was supposed to have come back that night did not come back, though it returns the following day. The extra day's charge is paid off and Fernando calls the gent who'd wanted the movie reserved for the previous night on the off chance he might still desire it.
-Ring ring ring-
Hello?”
Hey, this is Fernando at the Dominion of Movies. I got back Battleship and was wondering if you still wanted me to hold that for you.”
You never got it in yesterday?”
No, the person who had it kept it out an extra night. No biggie. Like I said, I've got it here for you.”
Okay. Hang onto it for me. I'll be right down.”
The man arrives at the store about an hour later, pays, and leaves quite content.
The movie goes unreturned the following day. On the next day, the man pulls up and comes inside the store. He sets the case on the counter. “I don't owe anything on this, right?”
Actually, it's a buck-fifty, if you wanted to kill that off now.”
What? Why?”
Well, you had it out for an extra night.”
Yeah, but I had to wait to get it.”
And?”
If that other guy had it out longer, why can't I?”
That other guy paid for the extra night.”
The guy's shoulders slump as the realization sets in that his argument is not working. “I don't have any money on me right now,” he mutters, perhaps contrite and perhaps in a last-ditch attempt to avoid paying what he owes.
That's fine. You can take care of it next time you're in. I'm not going to break anybody's kneecaps over six quarters.”
In this way did Sanity remain in the Dominion.

No comments:

Post a Comment