Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ghost Riding the Ghost Rider


One week in June when Fernando's movies failed to arrive on time, a customer came down to the store seeking Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.
I'm sorry, but my movies didn't get in today,” says Fernando. “I'm expecting them in tomorrow, however.”
The guy looks at Fernando askance. “Are you sure you're not holding out on me?”
Fairly positive. I can comprehend the downsides of not letting you rent the movie you want to rent.”
Will you hold one for me tomorrow, then?”
Absolutely I can. Do you want to give me your number so I can call to remind you?”
Nah, you won't need to do that.”
Sigh. “Okay then. I'll have one set aside for you when I open.”
The morrow comes, the movies arrive, and Fernando upholds his end of the bargain. While all the other new releases are snatched up, Ghost Rider sits, despondent, on the desk. Never could've seen that coming.
At around 6 PM Fernando decides enough is enough. He digs through his records for the gent's cell number, finds it, dials it. It's been disconnected.
Alrighty. However much it pains him, he keeps the copy of Ghost Rider set aside on the increasingly improbable chance that the guy will appear before closing time. Meanwhile, other customers come asking about the movie and Fernando must turn them away. Some of them place reservations on it for the following day. At closing time, the movie is still here. The lucky soul at the top of tomorrow's Ghost Rider reservation list has a copy waiting for him when Fernando opens the next day.
About a week later, the same guy asks for the movie to held for him again and informs Fernando that something important came up and that's why he couldn't come pick it up. He does not offer further explanation or apology for not calling Fernando to keep him in the loop.
I'm sorry that had to happen,” says Fernando. He empathizes with people who have familial hardships or other emergencies that require immediate attention.
Nah, my friend asked me to come to his barb--” Here the man catches himself, perhaps realizing a bit too late that he is saying things to Fernando which are not smart.
Unfortunately, what's done is done, and Fernando will not hold movies for this man any longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment