Thursday, October 24, 2013

That's Why

Late one evening, a few scant minutes before Fernando is set to close for the night, a scruffy man enters. He wears a sweatshirt stained with dirt and food, and his jeans are likewise worn and besmirched. He also has sheath upon his belt which holds a knife with a blade maybe four inches long, and he smells of pine resin.
Fernando chalks him up as an out-of-town hunter.
Hey, do you have Open Range?” he asks without preamble.
Fernando scratches his cheek. “I had it at one point, but somebody rented it a while back and failed to return it.”
I've been looking everywhere for that son of a bitch movie and can't find it.”
Well, if you like, I could order in a copy for you to buy. I don't know how much it would be, probably around ten bucks or so, and it might take a couple weeks to get it in, but I'm more than happy to if you'll be around to pick it up.”
Yeah, do that.” The guy turns and marches towards the door.
Um...I'll need your name and number.”
What for?”
So I can tell you the price and let you know when it gets in, if you end up interested in ordering it at that price.”
I already told you I'm interested.”
I know. But this way you'll know.”
So the man leaves his first name and a cell phone at which he can be reached. The area code, once Fernando besought Goo-Gol's insight, turns out to originate from southern Indiana. This bodes quite well, indeed.
But, Fernando is a man of his word and he performed the appropriate research, locating a copy of the film in question and pricing it for the gentleman. After opening the next day, Fernando calls the number provided and leaves a voice message informing the gent what the price will be and that he will go ahead with the order once he receives confirmation, and once a deposit of five dollars has been placed.
Time passes, and a few hours later the phone rings. The caller ID reads OUT OF STATE.
Hello, Dominion of Movies.
Yeah, this is Greece. You called me about the movie?”
I did indeed. I just wanted to let you know I've got a price for Open Range and I'll put in the order on that once you come down to place a deposit.”
Just go ahead and order it.”
Right, I will, but I need the deposit first.”
Don't worry about it. I'll come in to get it, don't worry.”
That's nice, but I still need the deposit.”
I told you that I'll come in to pick it up, and we'll square up then. I really want that movie.”
Then it shouldn’t be a problem coming down to pay the deposit.”
A long pause, at least ten seconds in duration. “Alright, fine.”
The guy hasn't yet come in to provide aforementioned deposit.

No comments:

Post a Comment