Thursday, January 27, 2011

More Freebies

Fernando has three days during the week which contain rent-one-get-one-free specials. People of course take advantage of them, and the way Fernando handles which movies are rented and which are free depends solely on the number located on the tag; the ones with lower numbers are the free ones.

So one Monday a lady rents four movies and Fernando writes up the slip initially without issue. “Seven dollars,” he informs her.

Why seven?” she asks. Then she peers at the slip for a moment before indignantly stating, “You charged me for the new releases but gave me the $2 one for free!”

Um, that's right. That's the way it's always been. The ones that are free are the ones with a lower tag number. And you have three new releases, so you did get one of those free.”

That's not fair. I shouldn't have to pay the full price on the new releases!”

I mean, nothing's stopping you from returning the older movie and picking a new release instead. That'd be fine by me.”

There weren't any other new ones I wanted to see. I still think you're not being fair!”

If you had rented two older movies, do you really think it would be rational for me to have you pay for both of those while getting two new releases for free? That would result in reduced income on my part.”

But I didn't rent two older movies!”

And right there is where Fernando decided to end his thought experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment