Thursday, November 7, 2013

One Hour

Fernando sits at his computer one evening when a minivan pulls up and a guy comes in. He had rented some movies earlier that week and returned them two days late, racking up a neat twelve dollars in late fees. He picks out a couple of films, comes up to the counter, and says to Fernando, “I also have some late fees.”
Yep, twelve bucks. Did you want to put something down on them?”
Yeah, I'll pay that off.” So he does, and Fernando hands over the change, and the man leaves.
Not one minute later, a woman storms into the store and waves the cases at Fernando. “How much were these movies?”
Those came to eight dollars.”
They're four bucks each?”
Yes.”
And why was the late fee twelve dollars?”
Because you had out three movies for two days.”
She slams the cases down on the counter and crosses her arms. “Two nights?”
Yes, they were returned at around eight on the second night out. The movies are due back at seven.”
And you charged two nights for that?”
Yes.”
For one hour?”
Yes.”
I want my money back.”
Alright.” Fernando shrugs, rises, and heads on over. He places the movies she'd just rented on his desk and then pops open the till to hand over eight dollars.
She looks down at the money, then back up at Fernando. “What is this?” she hisses.
Your refund.”
I want all of it back.”
I'm sorry, the late fees which were assessed are a debt that needed reckoning.”
I want all of it back,” she repeats.
Sorry, I'm not giving you back the twelve dollars in late charges you owed me.”
I'll tell the police you ripped me off.”
Go right ahead. I have the signed rental form back here and the daily rate of late charges posted here, there, and there.” Fernando points for emphasis.
We're never renting from this place ever again!” she shouts as she storms out.
And I wish you all the best. Have a good evening.”

No comments:

Post a Comment