Thursday, June 27, 2013

Cold Sell

It's one of those demonically hot and muggy days which fill late June. Fernando sits in his comfortable palace and a group of three teens, two guys and a gal, come in. The two dudes are brothers; the girl is presumably an acquaintance of some sort to one of the two.
They drop off some movies they'd rented the previous day and mill about the store in search of more. “It's too hot outside to do anything.”
Oh, I hear you. That's why I'm sitting in here not doing anything.”
Yeah, it's nice in here. I think on the way home we'll pick up something to help cool off.”
Ah, yes. Magic words. Fernando latches onto them like an asp to its prey. “Well, I do have delicious and refreshing sodey pop here. Only a dollar fifty with deposit.”
The young man is resistant. “Oh, I don't know....”
Fernando dials up the pressure. “You could head over to Lint's Gas and pick up some there, I suppose, but paying a dollar thirty for twenty ounces? Unreasonable. I've got the big ones here.”
Well, actually I was thinking getting some ice cream or something.”
Y'know, ice cream is a really good idea. But you know what would be an even better idea? Ice cream with sodey pop.”
The leader hems and haws, but his brother and the young lady are both eying Fernando's sodey pop fridge. Fernando leans over the counter and pops the door open with his right hand, letting the refrigerated air within mingle with the warmer atmosphere outside the icebox. He spreads the palm and fingers of his left hand in a “what-can-you-do” gesture. “At least that's what I would do if I had ice cream in my future.”
The younger brother takes a step forward, then catches himself. The older brother says, “Ehhh, no, sorry, I think we'll pass.”
Fernando eases the door shut. He has done all that he can do. “Well, alrighty. They're here if ever you want them, though.” The trio collects their movies and departs.
Three minutes later, Fernando is having an in-depth discussion about the quality of film sequels with another customer who'd paid Fernando a visit. The chimes jingle and the three teens from before enter, walk straight up to Fernando's sodey pop fridge, help themselves to some of its contents, and queue up while Fernando finishes his Spiel.

In an appropriate parlance:
You try smooth talking him with all your cunning [roll d20] but sadly fail to convince him.”
Did you add in my Charisma bonus?”

....You almost fail to convince him.”

No comments:

Post a Comment