Thursday, January 3, 2013

Tact


A lady comes into the store one evening. “Which movie is better, Dark Knight Rises or Abe Lincoln: Vampire Hunter?”
I preferred The Dark Knight Rises myself,” Fernando answers.
Oh, why is that? The other one not very good?”
Fernando shrugs. “I'm just more a fan of the Batman franchise, I suppose. Abe Lincoln is by no means a bad movie. It's one of those that realizes its premise is so absurd that it has no choice but to embrace it, and the movie becomes better--”
The woman asked a question of Fernando but did not seem to have much of a desire to hear his answer, for she pulled out her cell phone and started doing things on it during his response. Once Fernando notices that she is thoroughly ignoring him, he returns to his computer and his work, tuning out the woman's presence in his store as she converses with her compatriot.
After a few minutes she finishes up and expects Fernando's attention. “Hey, you never answered my question!”
Actually I did.”
No you didn't. I was on the phone.”
Precisely.”
She gives Fernando a look of profound confusion, then understanding spreads over her face like the creeping sunrise over the land, then she walks out.

No comments:

Post a Comment