Thursday, August 1, 2013

Today, A Concidence

August 1st, huh. That only marks five years since I set sail out upon the great ocean of entrepreneurship because it was the best of all options that had been available to me. Five years of sitting in the same chair (No, really. This chair has been in service at the Dominion for at least eight years) and doing the same routine on roughly three hundred-sixty days out of the three-sixty-five of each year.
I feel that I should be more accomplished than I am. Maybe it's because I sit in this chair most every day and don't have customers milling through the store on a nonstop conveyor belt, so there's plenty of time to goof off on the internet, reading Fark or watching Youtube or browsing Wikipedia. When it's slow I fire up The Binding of Isaac or Dungeons of Dredmor or FTL and pass no small amount of time doing that. Christ, I've got over 500 hours in Isaac since I picked up the game. Unfettered access to all the tools of procrastination and absence of a boss to chastise me? A most delicious recipe for distraction!
Oh, I've accomplished a few things, don't get me wrong. There are my attempts at self-improvement, my arbitrarily-chosen self-taught languages and nuggets of popular science, but these are of minimal practical value. My April forays into ScriptFrenzy (RIP, but I'm still dedicating every April to the cause), participation in NaNoWriMo each November. These projects are begun, some wind up finished, but none ever reach a level of quality which I feel is worth sharing with the world.
This weblog, you say, is it not writing which I share with the world? Yes, but it is different in a respect only other writers can really grasp. The various Chronicle entries are, for the most part, declarative and possess their own ontology. Yes, Fernando puts his twist upon the scenarios which are described, but they are all external to him (me?) and, therefore, safe. Even the rare opinion pieces are crafted as a response to some stimulus, an irksome pique or some lame and abrasive counter-commentary on whatever has the world in a tizzy at that moment.
The Chronicles are not artistry. They are not shining examples of the craft of writing (perhaps of the techniques of writing, but that I leave for people other than myself to determine). They are kitsch word-vomit. They have no literary merit. They don't seek to explore any of the deep and penetrating questions and concerns which plague the human psyche. They are only in the broadest sense a window into my own psyche, in that they show I am a person who does not brook inadequacies or failures or hypocrisies.
And yet I maintain them. I have my reasons. They are all selfish reasons.
The Chronicles are a psychological catharsis; they allow me to rant and rave about the abjectly stupid things I encounter, to get them out of my system so they are not a poison building up inside until some harmful, critical level is reached, mercury for the soul (Now there's an unsalable idea for a series of self-help books!). They entertain those people who do visit and read what pithy word-offerings I throw together. They give me an excuse, nay, a deadline which goads me to put words to paper (a schedule which, I will allow myself to admit, I have kept to quite rigorously).
I am the Keeper of the Dominion of Movies. Not many people my age can claim to be their own boss and to own a business, not without having had ample financial assistance or meaningful connections to smooth the path on which entrepreneurship directly lay. To paraphrase the immortal words of Li'l Brudder, I made it on my own. I do not regret my decision. I do not dislike my decision even in the slightest. After all, who else has a boss that permits a day on the job to be barely more onerous than an extended coffee break, who allows the employee's friends to camp the supply room and spend the day playing Dungeons and Dragons or Munchkin, who could care less that the day's take in the till doesn't go directly into the money bag for safekeeping and deposit if it has been independently determined that it would be better-kept in the wallet for use on burgers-and-beer night?

Yet, I still feel I should be more accomplished than I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment